The Cove Courier | Spring 2023 Newsletter

Spring 2023 Graduate Highlights

Commencement is here, and there is no finer time to be on campus, celebrating with our graduates, than springtime in Greenville! This spring nine students will be walking across the stage to accept their diplomas, and each of them represents this program and our mission of fostering a network of opportunities and resources to empower and support students from admission to graduation from East Carolina University. We are immensely proud of each of their accomplishments and are proud to call them STEPP Alumni. We wish them well in their future endeavors and want to remind them that no matter what, The Cove will always be right where they left it! Join us in celebrating our Spring 2023 Graduates!

Megan Hogan: BS Communication Concentration: Public Relations Minor: Human Development and Family Science

Carly Johnson: BS Fashion Merchandising and Consumer Studies Minor: Communication Certificate: Entrepreneurship

“After graduation I plan on moving to Wilmington North Carolina. I hope to attend UNCW for their Integrated Marketing and Communication graduate program. I also plan on having a part time job while in school.”

Bianca Seagraves: BS Communication Concentration: Public Relations

Mark Windham: BFA Concentration: Film and Video Production Minor: Business Administration

Robert Manning: BS Applied Geography, Geography, Planning and Environment Minor: Coastal and Marine Studies

Kristin Carter: BS University Studies Thematic Core: Social and Educational Services

Lydia Pinto: BS Recreation Therapy Minor: Psychology Certificate: Entrepreneurship

“The STEPP Program is the most supportive and loving group on campus, I am so grateful for the chance to be in a program where encouraging each other’s success is so common. No matter what part of campus something happens in the STEPP Program are the first to congratulate me and support me. Having a group of like-minded students who understand and relate to anything you are faced with advocacy and the struggles of having a learning disability.”

Kaitlyn Strahl: BS Public Health: Concentration: Community Health

Ramsay Stroup: BS Psychology Minor: Human Development and Family Science

Mentor Highlight

In the spirit of graduation, STEPP would also like to recognize our two graduating mentors this spring. Autumn DeMartino has been with the program for 3 ½ years as a tutor for English/Writing and Spanish. Last year she took on the role of a mentor as well. She shares “My time with the STEPP Program has definitely been a defining moment in my life. I’ve had the pleasure of working with an incredible group of students and staff. As a tutor and mentor, your goal is to help the students learn and understand their course material and how to navigate college life, but one of the key things STEPP helped me see is that learning is a dynamic experience.”

We also say congrats and good luck to Sofia Boyer. Sofia has also held varying roles with the program since her start at ECU. Initially, she provided research support for College STAR and later transitioned into a direct role with the program as a mentor. Describing her time with the program “Being from out of state, I didn’t know anybody at ECU or in North Carolina in general. Although I am not a student of the program, getting a job with STEPP helped me to feel supported and I feel like I have a new little family that I didn’t know I would have when I started my job. I will miss laughing with everybody in the Cove and having fun days like No One Eats Alone and Soup Day!”

Our mentors mean a tremendous amount to the program, but more importantly they mean a tremendous amount to our students! Congrats Autumn and Sofia!

Photo of Janelle Schwartz presenting during EDUC 2001 course.

Student Highlight EDUC 2001

EDUC is our supplemental curriculum that is taught to enrolled students in the program. This spring we offered our completely revamped EDUC 2001 course. EDUC 2001 is a course designed to promote the application of self-advocacy skills, effective communication, critical thinking, leadership, self-awareness, and self-development. Students in the course adapt and personalize learning strategies to aid in their transition from college to career, or graduate school. Students gain experience employing campus and STEPP resources to benefit their progression toward the professional setting. Overall, students focus on how they might use resources in the future.

STEPP would like to thank our campus partners for giving their time and sharing their expertise with our students in the process: ECU Career Services, ECU Disability Support Services, ECU Human Resources, ECU Graduate School, ECU Center for Communication Excellence.

EDUC 2001 Student Survey Results

• “By better understanding my rights, I feel more confident to share and use accommodations in the workplace.”
  • “I often already personalize things in my life, but EDUC (2001) taught me how to do it in a professional setting.”
  • “Definitely being comfortable about sharing my LD (when appropriate). Using resources (Grammarly, read &write, etc). Also continuing to keep a plan of the week to stay on task.”
  • “Definitely being comfortable about sharing my LD (when appropriate). Using resources (Grammarly, read &write, etc). Also continuing to keep a plan of the week to stay on task.“

Reaching New Milestones on Social Media

STEPP Program Career Readiness: Program Impact.
STEPP Social Media Numbers 2022/2023
Top New Followers on Social Media: ECU InnerPirate - Student Affairs, Beyond Differences, and NC Department of Health and Human Services.
Top New Followers
Streaming Live on Social Media

Read More The Cove Courier Newsletters